This building was knocked down this week. It was the Canning’s house and butcher’s shop and was one of the oldest dwellings in Coalisland dating back to the late 1700’s The front door of the house was typically Georgian design from that era. Unfortunately the building was destroyed by fire a number of years ago and just this week was totally demolished. The Italian architect and engineer Davis Ducart who designed part of the Coalisland Canal lived in the house for a period in the 1770’s. The last occupant of the house was the late Jim Canning and his family. Jim carried on the family tradition as a butcher and was member of the local council for many many years with a particular interest in persevering local heritage. It’s sad and ironic that this piece of the towns history has come to an end.